Jerry Can

What doesn't fit in the other catagories, goes here.

Moderator: poprocks

Wrangler01

Jerry Can

Postby Wrangler01 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:39 am

I wasted my money on a 5 gal gas at a 4wheel store. The cap and filler are a joke. Does anyone have a fix?
Thanks for any help.

ddadmin
Site Admin

Re: Jerry Can

Postby ddadmin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 am

There are several different types of 'jerry cans' being sold that are California Air Resources Board (CARB) compliant. What type did you get? There are the NATO style cans, the plastic can with inverted-spout-in-the-cap type, or the Rotopax.

I've tried the plastic ones--they absolutely suck. I spill a bunch of gas trying to get the spout out of the cap and mounted so I can pour. Then when I pour, it leaks all over the place. And it takes forever because there is no vent. When I deployed my first one, I didn't know what that little circular pop-out piece of plastic in the cap was for so I threw it away. Then I found that it was supposed to re-seal the cap when the spout was fitted back into the can for storage. I made a gasket to seal the cap, but it has always leaked since then. I kept the second insert, but it leaks too. The plastic CARB ones leak more than the ones they are supposed to replace.

I don't have experience with the NATO style or the Rotopax style although I see many using them both. What I do see is that the majority of wheelers still use the good old metal Jerry Cans. Although you can't buy them in California anymore, you can still use them if you have them. I did manage to find some 'in my garage'.

My solution for the leaky plastic cans is to cover the opening with a plastic bag and then fit the cap. Helps it from seeping in storage and transport. Forget the spout for pouring. I use a 'rattle siphon' from Harbor Freight--the kind that has a one-way valve and you rattle it to start the siphon. Of course you must place the gas can higher than your tank filler for it to work. If your can is stored on a rear tire carrier, that is high enough. Just insert the siphon and go. Don't need to remove the can.

Do you know the origin of the term 'Jerry Can'? At the beginning of WWII, the Americans were using a square 2-gallon can and the British were using square 2- and 4-gallon cans that required tools to undo the cap and a funnel to pour. These cans were expensive, flimsy, and difficult to use. When the Allies found out what the Germans (the 'Jerries') were using, they adopted the design.

A US gallon of gas weighs 6.073 lbs. A US gallon of water weighs 8.3 lbs.

Return to “Questions and Discussions”